This fabulous New York City penthouse needed some pizzaz when you first walk in. The designer and client weren't happy with any wallpapers they had seen. I created this sample based on the fabric choices being used in the room. The marble mantle also had to be taken into consideration. I went around the room on a scaffold several times, applying multiple layers of metallic plaster. Applyinig the material in a horizontal fashion like this gives a clean, contemporary look. Everyone was thrilled with the results, and I hope to get back there to take pictures of the completed room when everything else is in place.
The biggest challenge of this project was finding a parking space in New York. I thought I timed it right so I could take advantage of "alternate side of the street" parking, but it just didn't work out that way. So I circled around for 45 minutes, trying to find a parking meter. When that didn't work, I had no choice but to spend $45 for a spot in an indoor garage!!
Here are some before and "during" pictures of a new project. These repeat clients love their family room, but wanted to add a stone wall. The cost of installing a real stone wall was prohibitive. With twin babies on the way, they didn't want to spend thousands, yet they wanted to decorate before all their attention was on the babies. So they called me once again into their home. The first step was to apply a proprietary texture to the wall, in small sections at a time. Then, with a special tool, I created "grout" lines while it was still wet. After it all dried, it was time to make the texture come to life. As you can see, I started coloring the "stones", one by one, with different earth tones, tinted in a clear glaze.
When painting a mural, the final result will only be as good as the surface beneath it. Good preparation is extremely important. Luckily, the stucco was in excellent condition. The first day is always spent doing the basics -- priming (Zinsser Smart Prime), and then sketching the design. The next day, I painted in the basic shapes, and began some of the details. At this point, any adjustments can be made, because it's nowhere near being finished.
I did make some adjustments at this point, and was happy with my progress at the end of Day 2. The next two days were spent building up the layers of paint, thus enhancing all the details of the mural. The clients wanted the overall look to have an ancient "Pompeii" feel to it. That was easy to achieve, because of the rough stucco surface of the wall. If a perfect, crisp, realistic look was preferred, this could not have been achieved on the stucco, and other provisions would have had to be made. The clients were thrilled with the results, and love coming out of their house every evening to be reminded of their visit to Villa D'Este in Italy.
Well, this is a recent exterior mural that was so much fun to create. Clients live in a beautiful home in Franklin Square, and their backyard setting is magnificent. They wanted to add to the ambiance by having a scene from a recent trip to Italy painted on its facade.